Moving is a part of life, and along with the hassle of moving, we also have to remember to give the new address to all the appropriate parties. What is the process to notify the IRS as to a change in address with the Solo 401k? Read on to find out! The easiest way to inform the IRS about a change in address for the Solo 401k is by filing your taxes each year. Simply use your new address when you file your taxes, and the IRS will update your address automatically. Remember, the addresses listed in your Solo 401k documents are your personal address and your business address. You’ll supply both of these addresses each year when you file your taxes. If you need to update your address sooner than a tax filing, there is a way to do that as well. You may choose to do this if you’ve recently filed your taxes and don’t want to wait an entire year to notify the IRS of the change, or if you simply prefer to update the IRS right away. Read the full IRS instructions with options on how to change your address with the IRS here. As with anything else, there is always a form to file to notify the IRS of a change.
Updating your personal addressTo update only your personal address with the IRS, you can fill out and file form 8822, found on the IRS website here. Some general recommendations for this form are as follows:
- Check Box 1 for Individual Income tax returns
- Fill in 3a and 3b with your information
- Fill in 4a and 4b if applicable
- Fill in 6a with your old address and 7 with your new address
- Sign and date at the bottom of the form
- Mail the form to the address listed in the instructions on page 2.
Updating your business addressTo update only your business address with the IRS, you can fill out and file form 8822-B, found on the IRS website here. Some general recommendations for this form are as follows:
- Check box 3, Business location
- Fill in 4a and 4b with your business information
- Fill in Section 5 with your old mailing address and section 6 with your new mailing address
- Fill in Section 7 with the physical address of your business (this may be the same as #6)
- Sign and date in Section 10
- Mail the form to the address listed at the bottom of the form