Close this search box.

IRS Form 1099-R Filing and the Solo 401k

Reading Time: 3 Minutes

Table of Contents

Did you move money out of your Solo 401k plan last year? If so, you might need to file form 1099-R with the IRS.

The following activities constitute a need for filing form 1099-R:

  • In-plan Roth conversion
  • Rollover from the Solo 401k to an IRA annuity
  • Required Minimum Distribution
  • Early withdrawal from the 401k
  • Regular distribution from the 401k
  • Rollover from the 401k to an IRA or other retirement plan

If you did any of the above during the last tax year, you may be required to file a 1099-R with the IRS.

What is Form 1099-R?

IRS form 1099-R is used to document anytime money leaves a retirement plan. Chances are, when you did the rollover from your old retirement plan to fund your Solo 401k, the releasing custodian created a 1099-R. In essence, the 1099-R creates a paper trail for the IRS to keep track of where retirement funds move from and to.

You’ll complete form 1099-R anytime you move money out of your Solo 401k. This might mean moving money to another retirement plan, such as an IRA, taking a required minimum distribution, a regular taxable withdrawal from the Solo 401k, or even completing an in-plan Roth conversion.

Who Submits the Form?

As your own Solo 401k plan administrator, you need to furnish a copy of the form to yourself by January 31st. The IRS should receive a physical copy by February 28th or an e-file of the form by April 1st.

You cannot simply print and mail a copy of form 1099-R to the IRS. You must order the official IRS forms online through their website and the IRS will require originals. You’ll submit form 1099-R in triplicate, with one copy going to the IRS, one going to the payer (your 401k trust) and one copy going to the recipient (you). You may not print and mail the .pdf file to the IRS.

Get Help Filing

Using a CPA or online filing service may be easier to ensure the form is filed and sent to the IRS on time.

The following services offer online filing of form 1099-R. Prices range from $2.90 to $4.50 per form:

These resources are provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by Nabers Group LLC of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation or organization or individual. Nabers Group LLC bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external party or for that of subsequent services.

Additionally, when filing form 1099-R, you may also be required to file IRS form 1096. This form summarizes the information you are sending to the IRS.

Leave it to the IRS to have you submit a form about why you’re submitting a form.

When to File

IRS form 1099-R must be filed by January 31st. As the recipient, you’ll receive a copy of the form by this date. The IRS will expects their copy to be filed by February 28th, or e-filed by April 1st.

Where to File

There are different locations to file your 1099-R, depending on where your business and trust are located.

If your business and 401k trust are located in:

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Vermont, Virginia…

You’ll file your form at:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue ServiceCenter
Austin, TX 73301

If your business and 401k trust are located in:

Alaska, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming…

You’ll file your form at:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
PO Box 219256
Kansas City, MO 64121–9256

If your business and 401k trust are located in:

California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Louisiana, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, West Virginia…

You’ll file your form at:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Ogden, UT 84201


Helpful Forms, Links and Articles:

12 Responses

  1. The 1099-R is half the puzzle. Probably the easy half.

    To take a distribution, you are usually subject to the mandatory 20% withholding (10% for an IRA). So as the employer, we need to do that withholding.

    To do so, you need an account with EFTPS (the IRS’s online payment system), which I think must be opened under your employer EIN (not your SSN). This, in turn, must be linked to a bank account that carries the same EIN.

    You then need to file a Form 945 to document the withheld funds.

    Finally, the 1099-R matches the distributed funds to your personal tax account, usually under your SSN.

    Can you help with that part of it? Am I missing some easier way?

    1. Hi Lee, we typically recommend you have a CPA and/or accountant prepare the 1099-R. Usually it’s a small fee, and well worth it for their expertise! Let us know if you’d like a list of our Solo 401k literate CPAs!

      1. Yes, a recommendation would be great…especially if they can also do the withholding and file the 945.


  2. I just filed 1099R as the employer because I canceled my solo 401K. It was a trust account. You guys take care of my filling direct IRS correct?
    It was very easy. I am self-employed have a solo 401k .ith bitcoin. I didn’t withhold and I didn’t make any money. My capital gain was negative. I don’t have to file 945 or 5500EZ right?

    1. Hi Naoko, thanks for your message. I don’t see your email address in our system, so we’d recommend you reach out to whoever established your plan to see about any 1099-R filings that may be required. Glad to hear you found our 1099-R guide helpful! You’ll need to file IRS form 5500-EZ if you had $250,000 or more in your Solo 401k as of 12/31/2020 OR if last year was your last plan year. If you terminated your plan (not just restated), you DO need to file a final 5500-EZ.

  3. It’s worth mentioning that effective plan year 2020, one-participant plans may no longer use Form 5500-SF. One-participant plans must Form 5500-EZ… which can now be done electronically.

    You can’t import last year’s, if you previously used 5500-SF. But the new 5500-EZ is much less complicated, so the whole process is easier.

  4. Thank you for this helpful article. I have completed an in-plan Roth rollover for my Solo 401k in 2022 and need to produce the 1099-R form. Who is the “Payer” to be mentioned on the form: myself? the custodian bank? If the bank, how do I get their EIN?

  5. AMS’ W-2/1099 software helped me submit Form 1099-R on time: Generating forms electronically rather than buying them is such a time- and money-saver. We needed to find some cost-saving options at my business in the past few years and not buying dozens of forms that never get fully used was a major one.

  6. I recently received a Distribution from my solo 401k. I understand that I must create/submit my own 1099R, but how is the witholding reported?….the company that administers my account witheld 20%

    1. Great question, Nigel. You’d work with your CPA to ensure proper withholding in the case of a distribution, as well as any IRS filings that would be required to document the distribution and withholding (W-4).

  7. I’ve always used AMS software for submitting my 1099s. It’s efficient and a good way to store documents that you’ll need later. The payer backup and restore features are also life-savers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Solo 401k

$499 one-time setup
What You Get

Use the chat on the bottom right or call us at (877) 765-6401